Are you considering moving to Chevy Chase, MD? If so, this is the perfect place for you! Not only is Chevy Chase a beautiful area with great schools and lots of recreational activities, it’s also close to all the amenities that Washington DC has to offer. Before making such a big move, however, there are several things you should know about living in Chevy Chase before taking the plunge. From navigating transportation options to finding your ideal neighborhood and beyond, this post will help make sure you’re fully prepared for life in one of Maryland’s most desirable cities!
Get to know the local culture and people – take the time to explore neighborhoods, attend community events, and meet people!
One of the best ways to truly immerse yourself in a new place is to get to know the local culture and people. If you’re visiting a new city or town, take the time to explore different neighborhoods and stroll through the streets. You can get a sense of the area’s history, traditions, and customs just by observing the architecture, street art, and local businesses. Attending community events can also be a great way to meet people and get involved in the local culture. From festivals and parades to farmers’ markets and open-air concerts, there are plenty of opportunities to experience the community spirit and connect with the locals. So don’t be shy – strike up a conversation with a friendly face and see where the conversation takes you!
Chevy Chase, MD Population & Demographics
Chevy Chase, MD is a small town located in Montgomery County, Maryland, just outside of Washington, D.C. According to the United States Census Bureau, the population of Chevy Chase was 9,129 as of the 2020 census.
Here are some demographics of Chevy Chase:
- Age: The median age in Chevy Chase is 46.9 years old, which is higher than the national median age of 38.2 years old.
- Gender: The population of Chevy Chase is split almost evenly between males and females.
- Race and ethnicity: The majority of the population in Chevy Chase is White (83.3%), followed by Asian (9.1%), African American (2.6%), and Hispanic or Latino (2.1%).
- Education: Chevy Chase is home to many highly educated individuals, with over 80% of residents holding a Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Household income: The median household income in Chevy Chase is $215,455, which is more than three times the national median household income of $68,703.
Chevy Chase is known for its high standard of living and excellent public services, including top-notch schools, excellent transportation options, and a strong sense of community.
The cost of living in Chevy Chase MD
Chevy Chase, MD is an affluent community with a high cost of living. According to Numbeo, a website that tracks cost of living data worldwide, the cost of living in Chevy Chase is 56% higher than the national average.
Housing is the biggest contributor to the high cost of living in Chevy Chase, with the median home price in the area being over $1 million. The cost of renting a one-bedroom apartment in Chevy Chase can range from $1,800 to $3,000 per month, depending on location and amenities.
Other factors that contribute to the high cost of living in Chevy Chase include transportation, food, and entertainment. For example, the cost of a gallon of gas in Chevy Chase is approximately 20% higher than the national average, and dining out at a mid-range restaurant can cost upwards of $50 per person.
While the cost of living in Chevy Chase may be higher than many other areas, residents enjoy a high quality of life and access to excellent public services, schools, and amenities.
Cost of Items (Everyday Expenses) in Chevy Chase MD
The cost of everyday items in Chevy Chase, MD can vary depending on various factors such as the specific location, time of year, and current market conditions. However, here are some approximate costs of common items you may encounter in Chevy Chase:
- A gallon of milk: $3.50 – $4.50
- A loaf of bread: $2.50 – $4.00
- A dozen eggs: $2.50 – $4.00
- A pound of chicken breast: $3.50 – $5.00
- A pound of ground beef: $4.50 – $7.00
- A pound of apples: $1.50 – $3.00
- A pound of bananas: $0.50 – $0.80
- A pound of tomatoes: $1.50 – $3.00
- A gallon of gas: $3.00 – $3.50
Please keep in mind that these are only approximate prices and may vary depending on the specific location and store where you make your purchase.
Chevy Chase, MD Neighborhoods
Chevy Chase, MD is a small town located in Montgomery County, Maryland, just outside of Washington, D.C. The town is divided into several neighborhoods, each with its own unique character and features. Here are some of the neighborhoods in Chevy Chase:
- Chevy Chase Village: Chevy Chase Village is the historic heart of the town, with tree-lined streets, historic homes, and a strong sense of community. The neighborhood is home to Chevy Chase Village Hall, which hosts many community events throughout the year.
- Martin’s Additions: Martin’s Additions is a small, upscale neighborhood with beautiful homes, quiet streets, and easy access to the Capital Crescent Trail, a popular hiking and biking path.
- Chevy Chase Section Three: Chevy Chase Section Three is a highly sought-after neighborhood with large, elegant homes and well-manicured lawns. The neighborhood is home to several parks, including the Chevy Chase Club, which offers golf, tennis, and swimming.
- Chevy Chase Section Five: Chevy Chase Section Five is a quiet, family-friendly neighborhood with a mix of older and newer homes. The neighborhood is home to several parks, including the Meadowbrook Park, which offers hiking trails, a playground, and a picnic area.
- Chevy Chase Terrace: Chevy Chase Terrace is a small neighborhood with a mix of older and newer homes. The neighborhood is close to the Friendship Heights Metro station, making it easy to get to downtown Washington, D.C.
Overall, each neighborhood in Chevy Chase offers its own unique character and amenities, making it a desirable place to live for those who can afford the higher cost of living.
Chevy Chase, MD Weather
Chevy Chase, MD experiences a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers and cool winters. Here are some key weather facts about Chevy Chase:
- Summer: Summers in Chevy Chase are hot and humid, with average high temperatures in the 80s and occasional heatwaves that can push temperatures into the 90s or even above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Thunderstorms are common during the summer months.
- Fall: Fall in Chevy Chase is generally mild and pleasant, with comfortable temperatures in the 60s and 70s. However, occasional hurricanes or tropical storms can bring heavy rain and wind to the area.
- Winter: Winters in Chevy Chase are cool and often snowy, with average temperatures in the 30s and 40s. Snowstorms can be common in the winter months, with occasional blizzards that can cause significant disruption.
- Spring: Spring in Chevy Chase is mild and often rainy, with average temperatures in the 50s and 60s. The area is known for its beautiful cherry blossoms that typically bloom in late March or early April.
Overall, Chevy Chase experiences a wide range of weather conditions throughout the year, with hot summers, cool winters, and a generally mild and pleasant spring and fall. It is important for residents to be prepared for extreme weather events, such as hurricanes and snowstorms, which can occur from time to time.
Things to Do in Chevy Chase, MD
Chevy Chase, MD is a small town located just outside of Washington, D.C. Despite its small size, there are plenty of things to see and do in the area. Here are some ideas for things to do in Chevy Chase:
- Explore the Capital Crescent Trail: The Capital Crescent Trail is a popular hiking and biking trail that runs from Georgetown in Washington, D.C. to Bethesda, Maryland. The trail passes through Chevy Chase and offers beautiful views of the Potomac River and surrounding area.
- Visit Brookville Market: Brookville Market is a gourmet food market and cafe located in the heart of Chevy Chase. The market offers a wide variety of high-quality, locally-sourced products, including fresh produce, artisanal cheeses, and homemade baked goods.
- Play a round of golf: Chevy Chase is home to several golf courses, including the Chevy Chase Club, which offers a championship 18-hole golf course and a variety of other amenities, including tennis courts and swimming pools.
- Visit the National Institutes of Health: The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is located in Bethesda, just a short drive from Chevy Chase. The NIH is the nation’s leading medical research agency and offers a variety of educational and interactive exhibits and events for visitors.
- Go shopping: Chevy Chase is home to several high-end shopping destinations, including the Mazza Gallerie and the Collection at Chevy Chase. These shopping centers offer a variety of high-end stores, boutiques, and restaurants.
- Visit the Chevy Chase Library: The Chevy Chase Library is a popular community gathering place and offers a variety of educational programs and events for people of all ages.
Overall, Chevy Chase offers a variety of recreational and cultural activities for residents and visitors alike, making it a great place to live or visit.
Chevy Chase MD Restaurants
Chevy Chase, MD is home to a variety of restaurants, ranging from upscale fine dining establishments to casual cafes and delis. Here are some of the top restaurants in Chevy Chase:
- Capital Grille: Capital Grille is a high-end steakhouse located in the Chevy Chase Pavilion. The restaurant offers a variety of steaks, seafood, and other classic American dishes, as well as an extensive wine list.
- Range: Range is a modern American restaurant located in the Chevy Chase Pavilion. The restaurant offers a variety of small plates, entrees, and desserts, as well as a full bar with craft cocktails and an extensive wine list.
- La Ferme: La Ferme is a French restaurant located in the heart of Chevy Chase. The restaurant offers a variety of classic French dishes, including escargots, bouillabaisse, and coq au vin, as well as an extensive wine list.
- Comet Ping Pong: Comet Ping Pong is a casual pizza restaurant that also offers ping pong tables for diners to play. The restaurant offers a variety of unique pizzas, salads, and sandwiches, as well as craft beers and cocktails.
- Brookville Market: Brookville Market is a gourmet food market and cafe located in the heart of Chevy Chase. The market offers a variety of high-quality, locally-sourced products, including fresh produce, artisanal cheeses, and homemade baked goods.
Overall, Chevy Chase offers a variety of dining options to suit a range of tastes and budgets, making it a great place to explore and try new restaurants.
Construction Chevy Chase Md
Chevy Chase, MD is a thriving community with a mix of residential and commercial properties. There is ongoing construction in the area as developers and property owners seek to improve existing properties and build new ones. Here are some examples of current and recent construction projects in Chevy Chase:
- The Chevy Chase Center: The Chevy Chase Center is a mixed-use development that includes luxury apartments, office space, and retail stores. The project is located on Wisconsin Avenue, one of the busiest commercial corridors in the area.
- The Collection at Chevy Chase: The Collection at Chevy Chase is a high-end shopping center that recently underwent a major renovation. The renovation included upgrades to the building facade, landscaping, and common areas.
- The Chevy Chase Land Company: The Chevy Chase Land Company is a real estate development firm that is currently developing a new mixed-use project on Connecticut Avenue. The project will include luxury apartments, retail stores, and office space.
- The Elizabeth: The Elizabeth is a luxury apartment building that recently opened in the heart of Chevy Chase. The building includes a rooftop pool, fitness center, and a variety of high-end amenities.
- Chevy Chase Pavilion: The Chevy Chase Pavilion is a mixed-use development that includes luxury apartments, office space, and retail stores. The building is currently undergoing a major renovation to upgrade its amenities and modernize its design.
Overall, Chevy Chase is a dynamic community with ongoing construction projects that are contributing to its growth and development.
Inteior Designers in Chevy Chase Md
- Boss Design Center – design and construction firm that offers a full range of design and construction services for residential and commercial clients, with a focus on creating innovative and sustainable designs.
- Kathryn Ivey Interiors – offers full-service interior design for residential and commercial spaces, with a focus on creating elegant and timeless designs.
- Tracy Morris Design – specializes in modern and contemporary designs, and offers a range of services including space planning, color selection, and furniture selection.
- Kelley Proxmire Inc. – a full-service interior design firm that has been serving clients in the Washington DC area for over 20 years, with a focus on creating sophisticated and functional spaces.
- Annie Elliott Design – offers a range of interior design services for residential clients, with a focus on creating personalized and unique designs that reflect the client’s style and personality.
Kitchen Remodeling Cost in CHEVY CHASE MD 2023
The cost of a kitchen remodeling project in Chevy Chase, MD can vary widely depending on the scope of the project, the materials used, and the specific contractor you choose. However, as of 2023, the average cost of a kitchen remodel in Chevy Chase, MD is approximately $100,000 to $400,000. This cost includes materials, labor, and permits.
Here is a breakdown of the approximate cost of each component of a kitchen remodel in Chevy Chase, MD:
- Cabinets: $22,000 – $60,000
- Countertops: $5,000 – $22,000
- Flooring: $8,000 – $12,000
- Appliances: $8,000 – $15,000
- Plumbing and Electrical: $6,000 – $9,000
- Lighting: $3,000 – $7,500
- Design and Planning: $3,000 – $7,000
- Permits and Fees: $1,000 – $2,000
Again, please note that these are only approximate costs and can vary depending on the specific details of your kitchen remodeling project. It is always a good idea to consult with multiple contractors to get an accurate estimate for your specific project.
Home Addtion Cost in CHEVY CHASE MD 2023
Here is a breakdown of the approximate cost of each component of a home addition in Chevy Chase, MD:
- Design and Planning: $5,000 – $15,000
- Foundation: $15,000 – $40,000
- Framing: $20,000 – $50,000
- Roofing: $10,000 – $25,000
- Electrical and Plumbing: $15,000 – $35,000
- Flooring: $5,000 – $15,000
- Windows and Doors: $5,000 – $15,000
- HVAC: $10,000 – $20,000
- Permits and Fees: $1,000 – $5,000
Again, please note that these are only approximate costs and can vary depending on the specific details of your home addition project. It is always a good idea to consult with multiple contractors to get an accurate estimate for your specific project. Additionally, other factors such as architectural design, special features and finishes, and accessibility requirements can significantly impact the cost of a home addition project.